Premiere performances in 2007-08
• Endling for orchestra; Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra/Volmer, 14 November 2007, Federation Concert Hall, Hobart.
• The Children’s Bach (libretto, Glenn Perry after Helen Garner), two act opera; director: Chris Kohn; conductor: Brett Kelly; 19 June – 5 July 2008, Merlin Theatre, Malthouse, Melbourne.
• Ghosts of Reason for orchestra; Adelaide Symphony Orchestra/Volmer, 26 and 27 September 2008, Adelaide Town Hall, Schueler Composition Award Commission.
Journey to Horseshoe Bend, was a finalist in the 2006 AMC-APRA Awards for Best Vocal Work. The CD of the work was labelled one of the best 80 CD releases in 2006 by the Sydney Morning Herald. ‘Cantata Journey’ is a 30 minute documentary film about the work made by Hart Cohen and screened on ABC-TV in …
“Often I start with two things – one is the conceptual or artistic idea, the other is the musical idea. And the conceptual idea with Falling Man/Dancing Man was to do with the photos that I’ve referred to in the program note – the falling man and the dancing man – and then digging into them and what they represent. I kept being drawn back to the individual; the way an individual suffers being no different from a million people. But the musical…”
“The premiere performances of Andrew Schultz’s second opera Going Into Shadows at Guildhall, London in June 2001 and Brisbane in September 2001 provide an opportunity to look at threads between it and his first opera Black River. Dramatically both are concerned with women telling their stories. In another link, both operas are concerned with issues of…
• Journey to Horseshoe Bend, commissioned by Symphony Australia, for actors, singers, choirs and orchestra to a text by Gordon Kalton Williams; 60 minutes
• From Fire Country for solo bass clarinet, 4 minutes
• Sleepers Wake – Karalananga (solo piano), based on two passages from Journey to Horseshoe Bend, 5 minutes
• Southern Ocean – TSO, April 2003. The Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra present Southern Ocean by Andrew Schultz to a text by Margaret Scott for Chorus and Orchestra on 5 April 2003 as part of the Ten Days on the Island Festival.
• 12 Variations – Perth Festival, February 2003. John Utans choreographs the Western Australian Ballet in A Fine Line, using the 12 Variations for piano duet by Andrew Schultz. The performances are at the Quarry as part of the Perth Festival.
• Journey to Horseshoe Bend – SSO, May 2003. In National Reconciliation Week…